Plan to Magnetize

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hello All,

Holding a more expansive view of ELT professionalism is where I find myself after pinpointing the key issues of this week. Beyond my expectations, I keep looking at this reflective mirror with watchful pride: how steadily are my Web skills and capabilities moving upward after such readings?

In actual fact, this week’s TELP was by all means exceptional; a window through which my imagination and instructional curiosity could take a flight into a totally new realm of vivid engagement and glowing creativity. Even so, it took me a time questioning: will technology enhanced lesson plan “make sense” because it only “makes a difference?”

If properly added in, high-tech teaching aids will serve an ultimately revolutionary purpose: to connect the classroom to the outside world, with contacts and experiences that books would never be able to offer. My students learn best from doing more than from just observing. They are found to be challenged, engaged, and more independent when they are asked to go through any technology-assisted classroom practice. From e-mail, multimedia, to on-line classes instruction, things could radically enhance the learning process in schools in various ways.

Nevertheless, if inappropriately used in the classroom, technology can be used to perpetuate old models of teaching and learning. Students can be "plugged into computers" to do drill and practice that is not so different from workbooks. Teachers can rather exploit multimedia and online technology to give more colorful and stimulating tasks. Instructors should be fully aware too to personalize learning, by identifying software/on-line learning activities which can be used to accommodate a learner with unique learning styles, capacities, and multiple intelligences.

While working on my TELP, I kept asking myself: what does it necessitate from me as an instructor? Professional development for teachers, or the lack of, is probably the largest obstacle facing teachers in using technology in their lesson plans.My school is not from those lucky schools which have classroom computers or classroom Internet access, so the dilemma will even be more intensified. Whether the problem is that teachers do not know how to utilize the technology provided, or the lack of the technology itself, lesson plans repeatedly “voice out” their sufferings and frustrations of not having the opportunity to receive their full potentials in some parts of the scholastic and academic world.

Technology-assisted classroom can give you, colleagues, an unbounded access to information. The issue remains of what you can do to turn this information into knowledge.

Thanks anyway to this week’s readings for detailing some of the descriptions of how computers can be used to stimulate and develop reading and writing skills, collaborate with peers in foreign countries, do authentic kinds of research that is valuable to the adult world, and do complex kinds of problem solving that would otherwise be impossible.

Regards,

Hassan

Comments

  1. Hi there Hassan,

    Read your reflections and understood you fully, but I sensed a hint of cheerlessness when describing the things you lack in school or your class. Look at the bright side of things: they have an instructor who is managing in a considerable course without any of the means provided to do so...so what does that make you/and your work?Think about that and remember.."He conquers who endures".

    Cheers,

    Eugenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eugenie,
    Never will I be proud to even talk about our backward technology-assisted classes,yet my attitude will always be,hopeful. The pen's movement, Mrs, is something psychic.I am happy to increase gradually my awareness of my needs, though with a rather critical eye. The paradox is hence reflecting an inner conflict between what I have, and what I am willing to change.Anyway, nothing in the post shows that I'll sooner give it up.
    I'll keep "complaining positively" about the current situation, and only to find any sort of technological expansion in my/our curriculum plans, sure with not less than the extraordinary sharp thoughts of yours, Eugenie.
    Regards,
    Hassan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hassan,

    I fully agree with you. We should use the technology wisely making it beneficial for our learners. I also liked what you said about the high-tech aids. Indeed, the internet and technology connect the classroom to the outside world!

    Shahnoza

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One More Leap Toward Distinction

Hello Everyone